Every traveler is different when it comes to how and where we want to travel. To some, an all – inclusive resort in a tropical destination is holiday perfection, but roughly 20% of the population crave something a little more adventuresome.
I’m one of those 20%, but you probably wouldn’t guess it by looking at me. I don’t think of myself as particularly brave, young or athletic (young at heart hopefully), but would certainly classify myself as an adventure traveller. It doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy comfort when travelling, but am quite flexible if need be when quenching my curiosity thirst.
One of my favorite quotes is from National Geographic’s Bill Byson, who perfectly describes the way I feel about worldwide adventure travel: “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”
That’s adventure travel perfection in my mind. As a new year begins, I’m drawn to participate in list making, so have come up with my own top ten dream travel destinations.
Who knows what the year will bring, but do recall that my Nepal trip all started with a photo of Everest tacked to my refrigerator door. A year and a half later, I stood at her base.
Never know what may actualize when you dream big.
Wishing you all a very happy, and healthy 2013 !
Here’s my future travel wish list. What does yours look like ?
1) Ladakh (I’ve found trekking very addictive and would love to experience the remoteness of India’s Himalayas)
2) Japan (have visited in the past, but think it’s time to go again).
3) Uganda (recently have heard from three well-traveled people who all said witnessing Silver backed gorillas in their habitat was one of the very best travel experience of their lives).
4) Antarctica (a constant on my travel wish list, but currently out of my price range)
5) Morocco (as a photographer, think I could spend hours in the souks behind the lens here)
6) Churchill or the Artic (another photography wish list item is to go on a polar bear safari)
7) Amazon & Machu Picchu (the Jungle calls)
8) Chile and Easter Island (think my fascination with Easter Island goes back to my youth, when my brother and I saw the movie, Chariots of the Gods. He’s been there and I’d like to go someday as well.)
9) Galapagos (snorkeling paradise, and wildlife photography)
10) Serengeti (Botswana was amazing for wildlife sightings, but do like the idea of witnessing the wildebeest migration)